Want to keep your teeth for as long as you can?
Yeah, us too!
That’s why at New Paradigm Dentistry, we provide mircodentistry, also known as minimally invasive dentistry.
Our Millstone, NJ dentist believes less is more, which means less drilling, less needles, less pain, and less removal of teeth or healthy tooth structure.
How is this possible?
Let’s explore the top 3 FAQs about minimally invasive dentistry to give you the inside scoop.
1. What is minimally invasive dentistry?
The Opens new tab to Dear Doctor websitegoal of minimally invasive dentistry is to conserve your healthy tooth structure.
It focuses on caries risk assessment (cavities), early detection, remineralization, and preservation.
Additionally, it aims to minimize the use of drills and needles in your dental care, making your experience pain-free, anxiety-free, simpler, and quicker.
Unlike “drill and fill” dentists who wait until you need a filling (requiring the removal of healthy tooth structure), microdentistry dentists act on decay at its earliest form.
By detecting, diagnosing, and minimally intercepting decay from day one, you can better conserve your natural teeth.
In doing so, you are setting yourself up for long-term oral health.
2. How does microdentistry work?
The first step is to access your risk of decay. Our family dentist, Dr. James Burden, will examine:
- Bacteria: Is there a high presence of decay-causing bacteria? Mouthwash can be an effective first step.
- Saliva: How much saliva do you produce and of what quality? Saliva is necessary for neutralizing acids.
- Diet: Is this putting you at a higher risk? Changing your diet (like sugar intake) may significantly improve your oral health.
- Oral hygiene: Are you effectively brushing and flossing? Without this, harmful bacteria will thrive and spread.
Dr. Burden will share his findings with you and make recommendations on how to reduce your risk for decay.
By maintaining your regular six-month exams and cleanings, we will continually work together to ensure your oral health.
3. What techniques are used in minimally invasive dentistry?
At New Paradigm Dentistry, our microdentistry techniques include:
- DBI® Micro Air Abrasion: This tool removes cavities without a drill. Watch the video below to learn more.
- CariFree®: A quick way to determine cavities with a saliva sample.
- DIAGNOdent® Laser System: A laser light that detects cavities.
- Wand-STA®: A needle-free, computer-controlled anesthesia technology that numbs your tooth – not your lips, cheeks, or tongue.
- Dexis® Digital X-rays: With 90% less radiation, these x-rays can improve your diagnosis with instant, high-resolution images.
How does a drill compare to an air abrasion tool? Watch this video to find out:
So, why don’t all dentists offer microdentistry?
We can’t speak for other dentists near Millstone Township, but what we can tell you is this:
We hate dental fear just as much as you do. And we know minimally invasive dentistry can help curb that fear by replacing drills and needles with technology that can detect early signs of decay, tools, and gentle techniques that minimally intercept it.
Dr. Burden also knows conserving as much of your healthy tooth structure as possible will better help you achieve long-term oral health and avoid restorative procedures like fillings, which can then lead to inlays/onlays, then dental crowns, and then dental implants.
If you want to experience the future of dentistry, come try out New Paradigm Dentistry.
Our minimally invasive approach to dentistry is based on years of scientific research with a forward-thinking outlook. We don’t just want you to smile today; we want you to smile for the rest of your life!
Opens new tab to schedule appointmentCLICK HERE to schedule your first appointment. Or contact us at: